The installation apprentice program is an entry level position with our installation team, with the ultimate goal of becoming a level three installer. Candidate will be expected to progress through various stages of systems furniture installation skills training and to demonstrate competency in the skill set required to qualify at that level. Candidate will be under the direct supervision of their training foreman and bkm Field Services Manager, who will be responsible for training content and skills assessment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Have a basic understanding of hand tools both manual and power tools and be able to use them safely.
- Understand and follow bkm Officeworks basic standards of conduct in dealing with fellow Associates, customers, subs and temps.
- Be able to understand and follow directions.
- Drive company vehicle in a safe manner to deliver product to customer site.
- Load and off-load trucks in a timely and safe manner.
- Learn to properly load furniture on a truck including padding and tying off.
- Learn basic bkm OfficeWorks paperwork, i.e. Timesheets, Merchandise Return forms, Delivery Tickets, Change Orders and Punch lists and be able to fill them out accurately and in a timely manner.
- Learn proper operating and handling techniques in using moving equipment
- Take responsibility of all equipment being used.
- Able to inspect furniture for damage as it is on/off-loaded.
- Thorough knowledge of all merchandise and inventory tags.
- Learn to read and work with Blue Prints and Typicals.
- Must be able to learn and apply basic units of measure (SAE).
- Willing to work until job is done.
Education and/or Experience:
High School diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customer, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The associate must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position also requires employee to drive back and forth to customer contacts, training, vendors, etc. Position requires ownership/access to a reliable automobile. Must have a valid California driver’s license and a clean driving record. Must meet criteria to drive BKM OfficeWorks vehicles.